Sunday, March 31, 2019

Finding Christ at the Border

Sister Norma Pimentel has devoted her life to helping the refugee.
Sitting in the usual place on the couch where I often read, write, and pray, I had just finished writing my most recent blog article, "Stay Curious, My Friend - why we should never stop seeking the truth" (click link to read prior blog). The blog entry I finished that day was about the virtue of challenging ourselves to maintain a growth mindset by avoiding our tendency to confine our opinions within our own limited individual perspectives. I had been writing that, in our angst to put closure on complex issues that are difficult to understand, we often rush to conclusions and stop listening to others (especially those who challenge our preconceived notions). Essentially, we don't like unknowns. Sometimes, they even frighten us. As an example of this, I wrote my concerns about the immigration crisis facing our nation. When the article was finished, I realized that I had only partly met my own challenge in that I still had a limited perspective. This was true even though my opinion on the immigration issue has completely changed over the course of the past 20 years... completely. And, although that meant that I had grown to be more empathetic to those seeking amnesty in the United States, I had hadn't grown through a personal experience with those who are seeking refuge here.

Immigrants and volunteers in the main lobby of the Respite Center. The young father is carrying a sign provided by the center that explains his need for help to reach his final destination.
While I already had developed a deep empathy for those families and individuals who are fleeing dangerous areas of the world, my personal experience with them was limited. While, I grew in understanding and appreciation of their desire to simply find a better life for themselves and their loved ones, I wanted a deeper understanding of them. Perhaps, I would allow myself the vulnerability to know... and maybe even love them. While my first inclination was to be with those who had been denied entry, I was hesitant to take that approach given the elevated risks in the Mexican cities bordering our country.

Alexander giving "extra" toothbrushes to
newly arriving immigrants.
Willy arrived from New Jersey in Feb during my first trip to the center. He came to New Jersey 38 years ago by way of Puerto Rico.  I was surprised to see Willy still volunteering at the center when I returned five weeks later. 
Then, I found a quiet, unassuming, yet, extraordinarily determined Catholic nun named Sister Norma Pimentel in the city of McAllen, Texas. Sister Norma is the executive director of Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley Humanitarian Respite Center and one of the nation’s strongest champions of immigrants. Her center sits on the border of Mexico, in the mostly Hispanic town of McAllen on the southernmost tip of Texas. The following is an exerpt from her center's website:

"The Humanitarian Respite Center (HRC) was initiated as a direct response to the refugee relief crisis that began in June of 2014 in the Rio Grande Valley and since has served 100,000 refugees. The individuals tended to at the HRC include men, women and children. Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley (CCRGV) is the first point of contact for these individuals when they are released from the immigration detention centers. CCRGV provides basic human care to refugees and their families from other countries seeking asylum in the United States. These refugees are victims of past persecution or have well-founded fear of future persecution. Refugees flee from human traffickers, domestic violence, organized crime, gang violence and extreme poverty. The HRC provides refugees compassionate care via a safe environment, legal orientation and general information, a warm meal and water, hygiene products and a warm shower, a clean change of clothes, temporary shelter, medical supplies and assistance if needed and transportation services. The target population are recently detained individuals primarily from Central America, that are about to be released by ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and are referred to our agency from their local detention centers. 


Sr Norma watching a Homeland Security bus deliver more immigrants to the center.
The HRC receives daily groups of 80 to 200 refugees and immigrants recently released by ICE. These individuals and/or families seeking asylum arrive at different times of the day and stay approximately 24 hours at the center, before they are transported back to the McAllen Bus Station to travel to their particular final destinations. In addition to serving immigrant families, the Humanitarian Respite Center has provided a space for visiting volunteers, university students, NGO’s, Government Officials and the community at large, coming within all 50 states to learn more about immigration and the current refugee relief crisis faced at the border. This experience has also given people of all ages and professions an opportunity to foster relationships and dialogue about immigration across various local, state and national levels."

Alexander serving food to newly arriving amnesty seekers.
Upon researching the Respite Center, I discovered that Sister Norma was somewhat of a celebrity within social service circles. She had been recognized by Pope Francis for her immigration work, has been featured on all the major news outlets, and is considered an authority on the subject of the immigration crisis. Through a friend, I was able to connect with Sr Norma and was able to schedule a trip to the center during a time she would be there.  I wanted to meet her. Once scheduled, to my great appreciation, my son Alexander, expressed an interest in volunteering at the Respite Center as well. Ultimately, I took a trip in February '19 and another, with Alexander, in March '19.

Immigrants waiting their turn to
receive basic services from the
Respite Center.
Upon arriving in McAllen in February, I immediately grabbed my rental car and headed for the center. My plan was to let them know that I was in town, go to the hotel to check in, and come back to the center after grabbing a quick meal. When I entered the center, I was greeted by hundreds of immigrants and a dozen volunteers. ICE was emptying the detention center over the next few days and the center would see record numbers of asylum seekers ... 750 on that Sunday alone. The staff and volunteers sorely needed help so, I stayed. Little did I know how difficult it would be to leave this place (and it was impossible without tears).

In subsequent days, we worked with local and out-of-state volunteers delivering essentials to incoming immigrants. Next to a local middle-school student and her high school brother, we made hundreds of sandwiches. Working with a volunteers from Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina, we assembled hygiene kits for new arrivals. Working with others, we confirmed bus tickets to cities across the country for these lonely immigrants to find their families. Due to the volume of immigrants (these numbers had never been seen before), the work was difficult to organize and tiring. We all just jumped in and helped however we could.
Alexander and I worked in tandem providing "new" clothes for children. Some of my favorite moments.
Inside the sheer number of people, most were families or single parents with children. Most of the children were under the age of 7. There were many young, pregnant women some who appeared to be no older than 15 or 16 years old. The stories of people escaping countries, like Honduras, because of the violence there are real. For example, women are raped or killed in Honduras without concern for repercussion because crimes against women are not often investigated. Men and women escaping with their daughters is common but, concern is for the entirety of these families due to to the extreme violence in their homeland. Gangs and drug cartels rule and the stories are horrific. These people walk, hitchhike, ride buses thousands of miles to reach the United States (amazingly, many walk nearly the entire distance). The risks and hardship are incredible, dangers and difficulties are extreme. Often, women and children are abducted and trafficked along the way. Tears well in the eyes of the men who tell of the difficulties they have endured. When they finally reach the border (1,800 miles from Nicaragua, for example), the cartels may determine whether they can approach the legal ports of entry. Others risk their lives to cross the Rio Grande river to get here. When they reach the banks of the river, they are met by the border patrol and typically surrender. Afterward, all are held in detention until it is determined whether they are allowed to stay (temporarily). If they are eligible to stay, they will be assigned a court date for amnesty hearing and typically stay with family within the United States. Others, if returned to Mexico, are sent to the increasingly dangerous city of Reynosa.

At the Respite Center, I was met by ICE and Border Patrol officers who would report the number of immigrants they were about to deliver - we typically welcomed groups of 50-100 at a time. It is important to note that my experience with the officers was nothing but positive. In fact, I had a very heartfelt exchange with one of them just this week. They are civil servants with difficult responsibilities. It is hard to describe the level of gratitude, expressed by the immigrants, for the most basic things we provided. Shoelaces, soap, deodorant were met with humble thankfulness. Perhaps the most sincere gratitude was when we offered a hardy "Bienvinidos a los United States (Welcome to the United States)". The broad grins were evidence of their relief to be welcomed in such a manner. They hunger for it. After the gravity of this responsibility sat in, I began taking this role very seriously. As the teams of people walked into the center, we would welcome them enthusiastically. During my first visit, Sister Sally from the Sisters of Charity said she nearly cried when we offered this warm welcome to these poor, hurting people. Perhaps, I would offer a "mi amigo" and pat on the back to the men. Perhaps, I would offer extra encouragement to the exhausted young mothers carrying their children. How long have they been holding them? I can still see the often sunken eyes and tired expressions on their faces. But, their fading expressions would always disappear when they understood that we cared.
The Catholic Charities Humanitarian Respite Center was founded by Sister Norma Pimentel in 2014 to serve the basic needs of newly arriving
refugees.

At one point during a particularly busy day, I was standing shoulder to shoulder with dozens of our Central American guests when I suddenly felt connected to them in a way that I still struggle putting into words. I guess the simplest way to describe what I felt was a unity that transcends the body, color of skin, nation of origin, language or culture. I saw us as I can only imagine God sees us: as separate individuals joined together in his eyes and heart. Separate and yet one - each of us loved beyond my comprehension and unified under God. Unified in a way that invisible boundaries do not affect.

I gained a deeper knowing that, if I failed to recognize anything less than our equal and unified value, I was denying that God is ultimately and infinitely truth... and ultimately and infinitely present in each of us. I was overwhelmed in the knowing that God loves people, such as these, every bit as much as he loves you and me. I was stunned and overwhelmed that I could know even more of what I already knew was true: that we are all made in the image of God and that we are equally and infinitely loved.

Before our last departure, I walked the perimeter of the building to pray for those who serve and those who are served. I was met by Willy (seen in one of the pictures above) near the entrance and listened to him deliver a passionate mini-sermon, fueled by his passion for the people he had been serving for the past six weeks) on how we, who have much, should be more thankful. This was a sort of prayer, I thought... so, I listened to him. With a hug, I bid him a final farewell. Still praying, I walked through the center. I was met by two families that were in need of clothes for their very young children. This was a sort of prayer, I thought... so, I helped them. After helping the mothers pick out some clothes leaving was more difficult than I expected. Again, it was impossible without tears. I cried deeply  It was early evening when we departed. We were tired but, fulfilled.



Matthew 25:40 'The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment